MLB World Series Champion. Professional Motivational Speaker.
If you are interested in me for your event send a message.
Find out my availability, price, and additional information to help you decide.Send Message
The baseball career of Steve Sax spanned 18 years and featured many impressive moments. This five-time All-Star was named “National League Rookie of the Year” in 1982 and continued to improve his game with each passing season. Steve played second base with intensity and toughness for the Los Angeles Dodgers until 1988. During his years with the team, Steve’s defensive play was a key element in the team’s winning two World Series. He then played for the New York Yankees from 1989 to 1991 and then went on to play for the Chicago White Sox and Oakland A’s.
After his retirement from baseball in 1994, Steve went on to express his love of the game contributing commentary on ESPN and as Major League baseball analyst for Fox Sports’ Prime Time.
Steve has some impressive theatrical credits as well. He has appeared as a guest star on several television shows including, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Naked Truth, Good Morning America, Howard Stern, Hannity and Combs, and Who’s the Boss?. He appeared as a characterization of himself on The Simpsons and was a guest on Late Night with David Letterman. He booked a recurring role on Aaron Spelling’s Sunset Beach and completed a supporting role with Keifer Sutherland in the feature film, Ground Control.
He was published in the WALL STREET JOURNAL for an article he authored on personal responsibility and self reliance. This article was recognized by The President of the United States for its candid and thoughtful remarks regarding character building in our children.
Born January 29, 1960 in Sacramento, California, Steve has been a Northern California resident most of his life, always returning to his off-season home when baseball season came to a close. Growing up in the middle of a five-sibling brood fostered his competitive nature and drive to excel. A lifelong skilled athlete, Steve has a black belt in Shotokan karate and in kickboxing as well.
In 2001, realizing that he had accomplished his professional baseball aspiration; he rededicated his talents to helping individuals and families to manage their finances as Vice President of Investments for the Royal Bank of Canada. Steve is the author of the book Shift, a motivational and inspirational book that outlines action steps to change your mindset and to become a success.
Keynotes and Speaking Topics
- Motivation It all starts with a big dream. Never underestimate the will and passion of the human spirit. The value of motivation transcends all boundaries. Always known as a gutsy and passionate player on the field, Steve brings this same dynamic motivation to the stage. Also, he is able to draw from his success on the baseball field and in the world of finance to link this ultra important tangible to his audience.
- Leadership Always by example. Drawing the distinction between talkers and doers. People will always follow the ultimate professional. Steve’s gripping personal testimony on leadership is one of the reasons he consistently receives standing ovations. There are many elements and styles of leadership-and Steve specifically targets this to his audience. Also, Steve draws from his extensive knowledge of American history, including the Civil War and early twentieth century.
- Team Building Grasping the importance of winning as a unit. Selflessness, Integrity, and Never compromising core principles. One of these core principles is humility. Being the leader that exemplifies charting a course with a humble heart is the ultimate in putting others first and why your team will follow you.
- Personal Development Real life experiences dealing with overcoming a career on the verge of collapse. This is an example from Steve’s personal testimony as a professional athlete dealing with ridicule, self doubt, humility, and near collapse before a national viewing public. Sports are a mirror of life, and Steve directly links this enormous triumph to his audience and their personal everyday challenges.
Books and Articles
- Shift – A motivational and inspirational book that outlines action steps to change your mindset and to become a success.
- World Series Champion (twice)
- Five-time All-Star
- Named “National League Rookie of the Year” in 1982
- Vice President of Investments for the Royal Bank of Canada