Colonel Rick Searfoss
N.A.S.A. Astronaut and Motivational Speaker
If you are interested in me for your event send a message.
Find out my availability, price, and additional information to help you decide.Send Message
As one of less than a hundred people ever who have actually ever commanded a human space mission, Colonel Rick Searfoss speaks on leadership, teamwork, and personal performance with authority born of in-depth personal experience. He has piloted two Space Shuttle missions and commanded a third, with over 939 hours in space and 5400 hours flying time in 61 different types of aircraft. His first space flight in 1993 set the record for the longest duration Space Shuttle mission. In 1996 he piloted Atlantis to the Russian space station Mir.
With the STS-90 ‘Neurolab’ mission on Columbia in 1998, Rick commanded the most complex scientific research space mission ever flown, with unparalleled mission success. Rick has over twenty-five years experience as a leader in some of the most demanding team endeavors possible ‘ human space flight, test flying, and tactical military aviation. Unsurpassed credibility and experience coupled with out-of-this-world speaking skills!
Commitment and character Colonel Searfoss was the number one graduate in his United States Air Force Academy class overall, academically, in engineering, and in the Aeronautical Engineering major. He later earned a graduate degree from the California Institute of Technology on a National Science Foundation Fellowship. Outstanding Young Men of America, distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons (Topgun) School and U.S. Naval Test Pilot School. His many awards include F-111 Instructor Pilot of the Year, Air Force Aero Propulsion Laboratory Excellence in Turbine Engine Design Award, Distinguished Flying Cross, Defense Superior Service Medal, and NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal. Top results through dedicated effort and commitment. Rick brings that same dedication to enthusiastically sharing the principles of success with every group he meets.
Charisma and compassion. Beyond the unique professional experiences he has enjoyed, Rick’s incredibly supportive wife and three daughters keep him focused on what’s truly important: faith, family and service beyond self. His varied outside interests include running, backpacking, model airplanes, soccer, science fiction, and classical music. With compelling firsthand examples from richly rewarding professional and personal experiences, Rick speaks from the heart to teach, motivate, enlighten, and uplift audiences and fulfill his personal mission: ‘Sharing the achievement, teamwork, and leadership lessons of human space flight while bringing the wonder of Space to Earth for all to enjoy’.
Keynotes and Speaking Topics
- LEADERSHIP ‘Right Stuff Leadership! ‘ Solutions from a Top Gun Command Astronaut’ Purpose ‘ Program ‘ People ‘ Perspective. True leaders balance all these elements to get the job done, build their organization, and uplift their followers. Colonel Rick Searfoss, Top Gun fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut, personally knows that commanding a Space Shuttle mission requires the utmost in competent, trustworthy, and service-oriented leadership. Too much is at stake for anything less than the real ‘right stuff!’ Crucial real-world lessons delivered with high energy for all leaders!
- TEAMWORK, TRUST ‘Trust-Based Teamwork’ Secrets of trust-based, effective teams. Astronaut crewmates must act in unity as a finely honed team, literally trusting their lives to one another while fulfilling their nation’s trust to care for billions of dollars of national assets and achieve real results for mission success. They also need to lead and motivate the members of a vast variety of other specialized teams for the mission to succeed. It’s the perfect model for any ambitious team venture! Space Shuttle Commander and ‘team captain’ Rick Searfoss shares these universal teamwork principles to accelerate your team’s ascent to the pinnacle of cohesion and success.
- INNOVATION, ADAPTABILITY “Boosting Leading-Edge Innovation’Develop flexible adaptability to embrace the opportunities change offers. Research, innovation, and the exploration of the unknown in space give startling examples of adaptability. Amplified with Rick’s unique current test pilot work helping develop leading-edge new technologies with the most creative private space companies of the new millennium, this program will prepare your team to innovate your way to a profitable and exciting future!
- EXECUTION, ACCOUNTABILITY ‘Execution Excellence When It Really Matters’ Human space flight demands the relentless pursuit of execution perfection. Learn how to apply the real-life execution principles learned from leading Space Shuttle missions to your own dynamic business challenges. Colonel Searfoss’ Prepare ‘ Apply ‘ Adapt ‘ Debrief Astronaut Execution Cycle provides crucial keys for those in today’s difficult business environment who must get the job done, and done right!
- SALES, PEAK PERFORMANCE “Countdown to Success! ‘ The Peak Performance Primer’ Competition to become an astronaut is fierce and only the very peak performers ‘ literally one in thousands ‘ succeed. Much like in Sales! From a successful astronaut career to his entrepreneurial space company business development leadership successes in recent years, pinnacle performer Rick Searfoss has wired the Countdown to Success. This program will arm you with the tools and attitudes to launch your own trajectory to peak personal effectiveness in sales or in life, for out-of-this-world results!